February 17, 2017

Review Sanrenmu 7098 LUE-PP-T5

Review Sanrenmu 7098 LUE-PP-T5

Introduction

Again we return with a company that can never be ignored, Sanrenmu. Today i present one of its most complete multi-tool models that have in its catalog (except for the w340, w350 ... more similar to Victorinox type knives but without locking).

Today's model could be said to be a hybrid between a miniature tactical knife and a traditional multi-tool knife. Let's see what offers us ...

Exterior design and appearance

First of all i want to comment that there are several versions of this model, this is the LUE T5 but there is another model without saw and the rest visually looks exactly the same but it does not have a lock on its blade called SUX T4. This is important because the T5 has two blades with each lock system and the T4 has a single blade without locking (slip joint), so i think it is very important.

General view 1

General view 2

The truth is that to be a multi-tool knife is precious, the design is usually set aside a little in these cases if it is for real work, but in this case have been careful enough. The measures offered are: total length 16.2 cm, closed 9.7 cm, blade length 6.5 with blade width 2.3 and has given me a weight of 97 gr.

A very anatomical G10 handle with top recess for fine work eligible in 3 colors: black, green and blue. The pieces of metal very chrome, with mirror effect practically, "flipper" that is not very normal in multi-tools and a look, truthly, that likes nothing more to see it.

Closed view 1

Closed view 2

Closed view 3

Detail of the handle texture 

The blade is in Sandvik 12C27 steel, the same as Morakniv stainless knives, is a steel that is reputed to get very sharp, and for composition purposes would be equivalent to a 440A, but due to the purity of 12C27 , It can be treated to reach a higher hardness level. It is the first Sanrenmu that we have analyzed so far with this steel. It has hollow grind (concave) and has a recess in the spine for fine jobs.

Badly centered blade, but the rest is so good...

Comparative

Top Sanrenmu 7098 LUE-PP-T5. Down multipurpose standard knife

Top Sanrenmu 7098 LUE-PP-T5. Down multipurpose standard knife

Comparison of saw teeth in favor of Sanrenmu

Comparison of bottle opener with screwdriver

Handling and use

Making a multi-tool seems easy, but my experience has indicated otherwise. Several inexpensive multi-tools have passed through my hands and most have suffered from some of the following problems:

- Some of the tools were ornaments because they came without sharpening anything. Both blades and saw blades.

- Great difficulty to get some of the tools due to excessive hardness. Broken nails of the force that must be done to get them.

- Spring so loose that barely held the tool in place, this is dangerous in the case of the blades because they can be closed easily on the hand. I have seen springs so loose that even pushing the blade with a paper could close it.

Well, I guarantee you that this little jewel of Sanrenmu does not have any of those problems, it is a real tool, than from factory is already coming to work. The plain edge blade cuts a lot, comes very sharp, shaves, and the saw... well, you simply have to touch the teeth of the saw with your finger to realize how sharp it comes, more, i have taken other multitools and i have done the same test, i assure you that it will be difficult to find a saw as sharp as this, even if it is a Victorinox. I think that in the photos with the naked eye you can appreciate the perfection of its teeth, look closely the photos and video, simply by seeing it closely you will realize what we have in hands...

Incredibly perfect teeth 1

Incredibly perfect teeth 2

There are multi-tools that are toys disguised as a tool, i could pass a sawed blade through my skin without anything happening to me. The Sanrenmu 7098 LUE-PP-T5 is not a toy, everything comes ready for action, ALL its tools, do not you dare to go through the skin its blades tightening...

The two unlocked tools it brings, which is where multi-tools often fail due to loose springs or excessive hardness to get them... here it does not happen, they have the perfect hardness to open them and the spring retention is perfect, they stay in place without any blade play and has adequate retention. I can not say nothing bad on any of them.

Going to the handling of the the two blades, it is wonderful to check the smoothness with which you can open the plain edge blade with one hand, it is rare to see a "flipper" in a working knife, but it works better in it than in some tactical knives with “flipper”, when it should be the other way around. The opening is very soft and the "liner lock" perfectly locks the blade, falling in a very suitable position, neither forward nor late. As for the saw blade, we will need both hands to open it at first, and the liner lock will also lock it efficiently. The "liners" of the lock are quite thin, but it seems sufficient.

"liner lock" detail  in plain edge blade

"liner lock" detail in the saw

The hook, which can be used to cut ropes, belts or whatever comes to mind, is sharp enough to cut the paper if we cut it vertically. The bottle opener works well and the screwdrivers are an interesting addition to the whole. In addition we have a "glass breaker" that can be useful in certain circumstances.

Detail of various tools

Glass breaker detail

The handle is quite anatomical and has a good grip texture, in addition the blade allows us to do fine works by the recess that offers in its back to support the finger, in addition the handle has another zone equal.

Something to comment due to the design of the handle is that the blades are outside the handle when they are closed, like the folder knives that are not multi-tools, this makes that if we get the plain edge blade, we will bother a bit the saw blade that being closed, it will overlap a bit of the handle, and if it is the saw blade that we take out, it will bother us a little the plain edge blade and also the "flipper", which will remain up because it belongs to the plain edge blade. In a traditional multi-tool Victorinox type this does not happen as much because the blades are better embedded in the handle because they are narrower (especially the blade of plain edge).

One thing that could help handle with more grip the folder knife is a jimping, in the area of ​​the handle, would help because above is a bit slippery.

View from above

Final verdict

A little gem of sanrenmu. A multi-tool in which everything works, everything is true and not of ornament, softness of opening, locking blades, perfect force of the spring of the tools without locking system, "flipper", good steel, very beautiful outside, good grip by the texture of the handle, guard for protection of the hand...

I totally recommend it if you like multi-tools or you are a regular user of Victorinox knives.

Pros

- All its tools work and come prepared for action. Perfect retention of tools without locking, force to open them properly. Smoothness in the opening of the plain edge blade.

- Visually very attractive

- Anatomical handle and with good grip.

- Nothing to do with multi-tools of low cost that are toys, with edges that do not cut etc. Everything it brings that should be sharp is.

- Saw sharper than most multi-tools. Really the saw is spectacular.

Cons

-The “liner locks” are a bit thin.

-The smooth blade was not centered, but it does not matter, the folder knife is too good to think about it.

-Too much chrome to mirror, being a working knife is going to scratch and you will notice the scratches.

-It could be good a "jimping" up the handle, it's a bit slippery in that area.

-The saw could have less sharpening of the spine, more rounded or polished for when you use the plain edge blade and the saw is annoying in the hand being closed.

Moving

2 comments:

1. Thankyou for an excellent review
    I think it is Fiberglass handles (which can be molded) instead of G10

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had that dude but i was finding information and it seems to be g10 but now i have the dude again!.
      Thanks to you for see the blog and to comment.
      Regards!

Delete

Gracias / Thanks