March 19, 2021

Review With Armour Thor (WA-085GY)

 Review With Armour Thor (WA-085GY)


Introduction

I love the times when it's time to review a new brand of folding knives/fixed knives. This is With Armor, which is surely not very well known among my readers and YouTube followers, but which I am sure is going to surprise us all.

We are going to see today one of their folding knives, which I have carefully selected from among their models, the WA-085BK, better known as Thor.

Let's get started ...

Exterior design and appearance

In this section, I think I should start by saying why I have chosen this model to start with the brand, while analyzing its design and appearance, I will comment on it below:

The first thing that caught my attention about this piece is its design, in every sense of the word, both the blade and the handle, its large size and the fact that it has a "flipper", which is my favorite way of opening a folding knife.


I would define the style of the knife as tactical and modern in appearance. Nothing to do with a traditional field knife.



Looking at the blade, the truth is that I quite like it, it is a 9.65 cm long blade in satin finish and D2 steel. You already know that D2 steel is one of the most wanted in fixed and folding knives because of its good characteristics and because it does not trigger the final price much. The opening of the blade is with bearings for greater smoothness.



 

The type of blade is soft "clip point" style with a "flat grind" type hollow and a kind of rather original blood grooves.

The blade is original, it is not the typical boring blade, it is not traditional at all, in fact it is quite modern in design. The thickness of the spine is 3.5 mm, away from the large knives that usually have spines of 4 mm or so, therefore it will reward the forceful cut, but in any case 3.5 mm is more than enough for a blade of this size.


 

The handle is quite curious because it is made up of two pieces, which we will see as in the handling section.

Said handle is in G10 and aluminum with an anatomical shape and in my opinion, this knife attracts attention for the design of its handle and the design of its blade, for both.





 

Regarding the measures we find:

 

Total length

Handle length

Blade thickness

Blade length

HRC

22.35 cm

12.7 cm

3.5 mm

9.65 cm

61

  

You know that I like big knives, so it suits my tastes a lot. Anyway, for me it is a normal size, I have larger knives, I think that in dimensions it is very well balanced, within what is called a large size.

Handling and use

With the knife closed in hand, our first instinct is to open it to admire its blade, for this we activate the "flipper" and we will have the knife open at high speed, the bearings do their job and the opening is fluid. The force of the blade retention is high, which means that we have to use more force when starting the opening, but in return we will have the assurance that it will not open by itself while we transport it.


 

We do not have thumb studs, which I appreciate in a blade with a "flipper", I think it gives it more beauty.

The type of lock that it has, although at first glance it looks like a “frame lock”, I would say that it is more of a “liner lock” because the handle is not really the one that locks the blade, but an internal liner.




 

Once open, there is no slack is appreciated, and by observing the “liner lock” well, we can arrange that it remains in a very good position, not tucked in or out of the base of the blade (which would be dangerous), is where I like the “liner locks” to be.

I have looked at the sharpness of the blade that comes from the factory and it is good, cutting the paper without tearing it.

The handle, which is aesthetically very beautiful, fits well in my hand, it also has a suitable length, I do not like short handles.


 

With the knife in hand you have a good feeling of security, due to the thick “liner lock”, the great guard thanks to the “flipper” that protects the hand from slipping towards the blade when nailing in any area and with that blade that you know that will protect you from anything.


 

Regarding the jimping above the spine, it is a bit soft, it could be a bit more aggressive to improve grip, specifically that the teeth of the castle were smaller. We also have another jimping area on the handle, it all helps a bit.


 

The use of this great "clip point" blade (almost a "drop point" really) I think is multifunctional, of course it is valid for bushcraft tasks and also in self-defense, it is a blade with a high level of penetration and good length.

I would like the knife to bring a sheath, it would be a great contribution to this precious beast.


 

Final verdict

 I summarize it in one sentence: “I did not have any piece of this brand, but from now With Armour goes to my list of companies that I trust, because I have already seen the quality of this product, which is very very high.

A knife that I like since you see them in photos, a tactical and modern design that attracts glances, good steel and that is one of the most visually impressive knives that have passed through my hands.

In short, if you like its aesthetics, you can buy it without problems because it is a great quality piece.

 

Things that i love

- I like large tactical knives with a "flipper", so the knife is exactly what I like.

- I like the blade very much, it is aggressive but also hypnotic with that blood grooves that it carries.

- The D2 steel is very good and the brand's heat treatment too. This steel is one of the most wanted due to its characteristics without having to reach very high-end steels that raise prices dramatically.

 

Things I would change

 - I would like a real "frame lock", that the handle scale in its entire thickness would lock the blade, not just the liner that is under the handle scale.

 - The jimping on the spine would be made with smaller teeth to improve grip.

 - Bringing a sheath would be great.

  

Moving

 


Where to buy it

  

Product link: With Armour WA-085BK Thor

Web: https://witharmour.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gracias / Thanks