December 12, 2020

Review Sanrenmu S738

Review Sanrenmu S738


Introduction

Those of you who follow me will know that I love fixed knives, many times more than the folding knives themselves. Among my favorite brands of knives so far, are Sanrenmu, Kubey and some concrete models from Hx Outdoors, today we are going to see one of the Sanrenmu knives that have captured my attention the most in terms of design, I had noticed it for a long time and the time has come to analyze it .

Let's get started ...

Exterior design and appearance

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is that it is quite beautiful, that's why I chose it, it attracts me a lot. Within the four versions of this model, this would be the S738-2.

It is a knife of the so-called "of contained dimensions", a bit of what would be a large folding knife, but in this case, in a folding knife it would be very difficult to have that blade width because it would need a very wide handle to be able to contain this blade inside.



 

And is that one of the things that draws attention is the width of the blade blade, quite cutter and that for culinary tasks or bushcraft I think it is quite adequate. We are talking about a spine that exceeds 4 mm in thickness, in addition to being a strong knife, full tang.




 

The blade is made of 8cr13Mov steel, the classic Sanrenmu steel that for so many years it has been putting in its knives, you already know that the heat treatment of steel matters more than the type of steel itself and Sanrenmu, as I say, has been treating said steel for many years. The manufacturer marks between 58 and 59 HRC, which is not bad at all.

 


Comment that there are two types of finishes on the blade, coated and non-coated, and that it also depends on the color of the chosen handle.

The grind is of the partial flat grind type and a straight "clip point" type tip that I like a lot because it gives penetration capacity to such a wide blade and therefore with a good curve underneath.



 

As I said at the beginning, the blade is one of the most attractive to me that Sanrenmu has right now in its knives.

As for the handle, the scales are in G10, in this case in blue, but there are other colors, although the color of the handle also influences the finish of the blade, coated or not. For example, we cannot choose a blue handle and coated blade or a yellow handle and non-coated blade.


 

If we look at the measurements we find:

  

Total length

Blade length

Blade thickness

Scale weight knife

Scale weight with sheath

21.5 cm

9.8 cm

4.12 mm

191 gr

240 gr

 

Finally, talk about the sheath, made of plastic. The hooking system allows it to be placed vertically only and has an added safety clip.



Handling and use

The knife fits well in the sheath and moves a little inside, if we pull it out we will see how it comes out without much effort, yes, we have to remove the clip to be able to remove it.



 

Something that I observe is that the sheath seems to me of less quality than another type that uses Sanrenmu of kydex and 360º rotation system, although the strap for the S738 seems more comfortable to use.








With the knife in hand, we can see that the handle is anatomical and adapts well to the hand, being the thickness somewhat thin and the length of the handle quite adequate, also the G10 texture is excellent and gives us a good grip. The adjustments of the G10 on the handle are very well finished, without sharp or hollow areas, this is important because otherwise, it could hurt our hand while working if we do not wear gloves.

 




About the handle, it must be emphasized that it has a good grip because the G10 is "carved" on the handle, it is not a texture that "scrapes" but one that is "carved". We also have a lanyard hole.

 

One of the things that I like about this knife is without a doubt its blade, among which it is worth mentioning its great guard. I like the guards because they protect the hand from slipping towards the blade, for example when sticking the tip into something hard enough.

Then, we have an upper area to improve grip in more precision work, it is the “jimping”, which in this case is very soft, I prefer them to be somewhat rougher. But at least it is a long "jimping" that allows the finger to advance quite a bit.

 


As for the factory sharpening of the blade, I found it quite Good.

In general, the blade has the advantage of being a very good cutter due to its geometry, I mean its blade width and belly near the tip, it will undoubtedly have good behavior for bushcraft and culinary tasks. Penetration is not the strength of the knife due to the type of blade, you cannot have everything at the same time, but the upper straight of the spine that ends at the tip helps to improve it, apart from a very aesthetic touch it is also functional.


 

Final verdict

It is true, I like the Sanrenmu brand in pocket knives, but it is in fixed knives too. I already had the S725, which I really liked, and now this S738 that follows the same line, good build quality and finishes and some lines that make it one of my favorites visually from Sanrenmu.

I have known 8Cr13Mov steel for many years and there is nothing to object, however other Sanrenmu knives of the same price use Sandvik 12C27 steel, which I would have preferred, but I already said that there is no problem in 8Cr13Mov.

I love the blade of the knife, as well as the handle, therefore, a highly recommended knife for its price, lower than other good brands that use other superior steels. The sheath is simply correct and the clip offers added security.

Not only have I loved the knife, but for my part, I wish I had more Sanrenmu knives whenever possible.

 

Things that i love

 

- I love the blade of the knife. I can say that of all Sanrenmu knife models, aesthetically this is one of the ones I like the most in their catalog. Let's say that overall it's a pretty nice knife.

- The design of the knife tries to combine several interesting characteristics at the same time: very good cutter due to the width of the blade, strength with its more than 4 mm thick and a certain penetration capacity due to its straight cut from the spine to the tip.

- Very comfortable and anatomical handle as well as beautiful.


Things I would change

 

- I have nothing against the 8Cr13Mov steel that Sanrenmu has used for so many years and that knows how to do a good heat treatment (I have many folding knives of the brand in that steel), but I do not understand why it has not used the Sandvik 12C27 steel as in others knives of the same price as they have.

- The jimping on the spine could be more aggressive and with more grip.

- I would change the sheath for the one Sanrenmu puts on other models (even the same price) of kidex and 360º support.

 

Moving

 


Where to buy it


✅ GearBest: Sanrenmu S738-2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gracias / Thanks