May 19, 2021

Review With Armour Stone’s (WA-092BK)

Review With Armour Stone’s (WA-092BK)


Introduction

I love the times when it's time to check out a new folding knife. It is the With armor WA-092BK, which, for sure, is not very well known among my readers and YouTube followers, but which I am sure is going to surprise us all.

Let's get started...

Exterior design and appearance

I'm going to start by talking about what attracted me to the model when I first saw it in photos while also analyzing its design and appearance:

The first thing that caught my attention about this piece is its shape somewhat similar to the Cold Steel SR1, perhaps because of the shape of the handle, and then because of its “back lock”. You do not know how difficult it is to find a knife with said "back lock" in any quality Chinese brand, there are hardly any, so when there is one, you have to take advantage of the opportunity.



Looking at the blade, the truth is that I quite like it, it is a 9.9 cm long blade and D2 steel with a declared hardness of 61 HRC (even written on the blade), with which the manufacturer is undoubtedly proud of the steel and hardness reached. You already know that D2 steel is one of the most sought after in fixed and folding knives for its good characteristics and because it does not make the price of the pieces too expensive. It has a coated blade in gray and there is no uncoated version.

 





The type of blade is curious, it is kind of elegant and somewhat different, with a blood grooves on the blade, which is very rare to see, along with a beautiful very soft “clip point” tip. I really like its design.



 

The grind of the blade is "partial flat", without any finger choil or thumb studs. It is very difficult to see a blade without thumb studs that does not have a "flipper", this blade is different from what we usually see. The thickness of the spine is "only" 3 mm, so this is a cutter, not a type of knife with a very thick blade.

 



The handle is also very curious, very square, with a texture that promises to have a good grip.

 






Said handle is in G10 with a fairly straight shape, we will see in the next section if it is comfortable, even if it does not have a particularly anatomical shape.

 

Regarding the measures we find: 

  

Total length

Handle length

Blade thickness

Blade length

Steel hardness

22.6 cm

12.7 cm

3.0 mm

9.9 cm

61 HRC

  

You know that I like big knives, so it suits my tastes a lot. I believe that in dimensions it is very well balanced, within what is called a large size.


 

Handling and use

The knife in your hand has a fairly square shape, and logically, in order to use it, the first thing we have to do is open it. This knife is special for different aspects and one of them is the absence of thumb studs (which is not so rare) coupled with the absence of a "flipper" (that is very rare), so the question would be: how do we open it?

Well, I can think of two ways, one of them is to use both hands, I know that this can disappoint more than one, but we are talking about a "back lock" locking system, which never have a "flipper" because it is not the lock which suits this opening system well, so it is not so uncommon to have to open it with two hands. It is true that with some thumb studs it would be solved but this blade is much more beautiful without anything on it, in addition to that we can use it completely without anything hindering us.

 


The other way to open it one hand is to skillfully, one hand use the blood grooves on the blade to open it, but this is not easy. The truth is, although I prefer one-handed openings, it doesn't hurt to open two-handed in exchange for having one of the strongest blocks out there. Anyway, I would have added an aperture disc to the spine of the blade to allow one-handed opening as well.


 

Once open, the blade does not have any slack, it is a pleasure to see a “back lock” locking system that is so extremely rare in the world of Chinese cutlery, really, very rare to see because they don't usually use it. And it's a shame because it is an excellent lock, stronger than the “liner locks” and the “frame locks”, so choosing this model for my part has been partly its locking system and partly because of the precious blade that it brings, as well as its large size.



The blade is of a very good size and as it does not have thumb studs, it seems even longer, it does not have a very thick spine, but that makes it a better cutter, anyway, we are talking about 3 mm thick, so there is no problem in demand of you up to a certain degree.

The handle is functionally great, it has a very very good grip, so it will not slip easily. Although it does not have a particularly anatomical shape, it fits well in the hand and is also long enough, I do not like short handles.

Regarding the jimping above the spine, it is a bit soft, it could be a bit more aggressive to improve grip and, above all, be a bit longer, but that is better than nothing.


 

The factory sharpening I have come across has been really good, cuts the paper very smooth.

I think that the blade can be used for many things, because of its blade length, “clip point” tip and locking system, I would say for food treatment, personal defense and also field tasks. Almost 10 cm of blade go a long way, I have bushcraft knives with a smaller blade size than this knife.


 

The pocket clip that the knife brings is the coated color of the blade, it is appreciated.

Final verdict

One thing I like that it is a brand of folding and fixed knives is that it is brave, and With Armor it seems to me.

It has created a bigger knife than we usually see, with a longer blade than normal and with a lock that is practically not seen in Chinese knives, the "back lock".

I really liked the knife, in the materials used, the quality of construction, the type of lock used, the D2 steel, the handle long enough... the only thing I did not like is that the handle is so thin because it is not use steel liners below G10.

But this does not mean that it is an incredible knife and different from what other good brands offer. And it is that being different must also be rewarded.

  

Things that i love

 - Beautiful blade, I absolutely love it. Also, in D2 steel, which is very good and the brand's heat treatment as well. This steel is one of the most sought after due to its characteristics

 - I love being able to have a “back lock” in my hands, I have many knives, but this is my first big knife with this type of lock, it is hardly used in Chinese brands.

 - I like the size of the piece.

 - The handle has an incredible grip thanks to its aggressive texture.

 

Things I would change

 - I would like it to have steel liners under the G10 of the handle to make it thicker, with more volume, I find it too thin when I pick it up.

 - The jimping on the spine could be longer and with more grip, somewhat more aggressive.

 - It would be nice if an opening disc had been placed on the spine of the blade to open it with one hand. Although I don't mind opening it with two hands, I prefer that it also have the option of opening it with one hand.

   

Moving

  


Where to buy it

 With Armour Stone’s (WA-092BK):   With Armour Stone’s (WA-092BK)

With Armour official web:  https://witharmour.com/

1 comment:

  1. Spam is not allowed. If someone wants to link their business, they must send me a request for collaboration through the contact form on the web.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Gracias / Thanks