December 10, 2021

Review SRM 9215

Review SRM 9215

 

Introduction

Well, I think that if I say that every time SRM launches a new model you have to be attentive to it, I am not saying anything that not everyone thinks. And this is one of their latest models, the SRM 9215.

You already know what I like about Kwaiken style knives, in fact I have a video on my YouTube channel only dedicated to this type of knife.

Well, I couldn't miss the latest model of the brand with this style! So, let's get started...

Exterior design and appearance

As I say, I love the kwaiken style, and this folding knife certainly reminds me a lot of a japanese katana, as soon as we see it we can see its handle, with the geometric drawings (classic rhombuses) on it and that somewhat curved blade, which does not stop indicate what its creator has been inspired by.

 


There are two versions, with a blue and black handle with a coated blade and another with a red and black handle with a non coated blade. You already know that I am not very of coated blades, simply for tastes, but both have the same quality.

Returning to the handle, I think it stands out a lot for its black and blue effect with diamonds, it is quite beautiful.


 

The blade, although aggressive, as it should be in a kwaiken knife, is not as aggressive as it could be and is less than in other SRM models, it has been tried that the tip has a certain curvature and is not so sharp, a bit in the japanese tanto style, but with a horizontal length in the curvature greater than that of the tip of a katana.

 




The opening method is by disc, which I prefer to the thumb studs. You already know that my favorite way to open a knife is with a "flipper", but in this case, when it has an ambi-lock (axis-lock) it is not advisable to put a "flipper" on it, it is better to leave that opening method to the "liner lock" or "frame lock" locks.

 





The steel used in the blade is D2, one of the most appreciated steels in cutlery for its quality, without going to super-steels that make the piece much more expensive.

 


The grind is of partial flat type, with a spine thickness of 3.1 mm and a small blade width, as it should be in a kwaiken knife to facilitate the penetration of the blade and so that the handle that keeps the blade is narrow.

When we look at the centering of the blade, we can see that it is very correct, the knife has good adjustments.

 


As for its dimensions, it is a knife with a good length but not very wide, which makes it easily fit in any narrow nook. It is also very very light with only a weight of 88.7 grams.

 

 

Total length

Blade length

Blade thickness

Scale weight

21.2 cm

9.1 cm

3.1 mm

88.7 gr

  

Of course, with the appearance that it has, it does not go unnoticed and it is one of those that attracts attention when you see it in photos, and more when you have it in your hand.


 

Handling and use

Although a kwaiken style model is designed for self-defense, it is no less true that I do not appreciate a radical approach either and that it only works for that, it is still a "clip point" tip with a blade with little blade width, so I see it perfectly usable for normal tasks.


 

The decision to choose an opening disc for the blade seems perfect to me, I prefer it to the thumb studs, the disc is more comfortable and it hurts my fingers less. As I mentioned in the previous section, the “axis locks” (ambi-lock) do not get along well with the “flippers” because this type of lock generates a resistance in the opening that makes the use of the “flipper” more difficult.

Well, the locking system that it carries is very smooth when opening, as happened with the SRM 7228 model, which together with the ease of the disc to open, give rise to a very pleasant experience, both to open the folding knife to close it.

Like the SRM 7228 that I reviewed a while ago, it has the pocket clip change place system by hand, without using any tools and without screws.


 

The handle is in G10, visually very attractive due to the combination of black and blue with diamonds, with a texture with a good grip. In addition, the length of the handle is adequate, you know that I do not like short handles. 


The blade has a good length and with a useful morphology for whatever we want to do, it is not a knife specialized in self-defense, it can be perfectly general-purpose.

 


The factory sharpening of the blade seemed very good to me, cutting the paper without tearing.

As a curiosity, it is the first time that I see a knife sheath in SRM, I prefer a rigid sheath, but it is better than having nothing.



Final verdict

This folding knife is that it stands out as soon as you see it in photos, the first thing that will attract our attention is the handle, reminiscent of a handle of a japanese katana.

Then the blade is also quite attractive, and if we add to that the quality of one of the best chinese brands such as SRM, well… what to say, if you like the kwaiken style in pocket knives, this must be in your collection.

Good D2 steel, great settings and without a doubt a piece that goes directly to my personal collection of kwaiken knives, of which as I said before, I have a video on YouTube showing the ones I have so far.

And we continue with another of the jewels that the SRM brand offers us. At least I am always attentive to the models that are released, since it is a benchmark brand.

 

 Things that i love

 - Beautiful handle in the style of a katana with traditional diamonds and very successful colors.

 - Kwaiken style blade in D2 steel, which is one of the most requested by all, since it is very good steel at a price that does not make the piece much more expensive.

 - Great adjustments, materials and a smooth opening and closing that makes you want to be playing with the knife all day.

 

Things I would change

 - Being a kwaiken style blade, it could be a bit more aggressive, in the style of the SRM 9211 model.

  

Moving

 


Where to buy it

SRM 9215: https://bit.ly/3dqOeL4

Web oficial SRM: https://srmknives.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment

Gracias / Thanks